Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

1968: TRENTON LAID TO WASTE. CONVERY'S FURNITURE STORE DESTROYED

The venerable old Colonial town of Trenton was changed forever on that fateful April of 1968. Gone were honest, respected businesses that had survived in the downtown Trenton for decades. Convery's Dunham's Elsie Gallivan, and many other anchor stores fled the city to the safer suburbs as their downtown stores were looted, burned and destroyed. Innocent business owners' buildings were decimated, valuables looted and Trenton was left in chaos. The carnage was done as vengeance for an unspeakable incident with which those downtown merchants had nothing to do with. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember it well. I worked at 1st Trenton bank on state street. I received a pass to allow me to go to work at night. I worked the 3rd shift. What a terrible time and a sign the down town would never be the same.