Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

1938: THERE WAS "A FORD IN MY FUTURE"

Back in the 1940's the Ford Motor Company hired an advertising blimp to fly over the area with the lighted sign on the side reading, "Ford's Out Front; two great engines: Ford 6 and Ford V-8." How I loved to watch that low flying aircraft as it buzzed relatively silently overhead! My very first car at the age of 17 was a 1938 Ford V-8 "Business Coupe" that I bought from a guy in Morrisville for 25 bucks. I got what I paid for, but that old jalopy served me well for nearly a year.  After keeping Vince Calabrese's Tydol station in business with all the oil I burned in that old car, I moved on to a 1940 Studebaker President with a "straight eight" engine. Such fond memories!

2 comments:

ron bound said...

Tom, or Ralph, do I remember right...if you wanted a right side mirror, you had to pay extra?

Tom Glover said...

YES, YOU ARE CORRECT, RON. AS I RECALL IT WAS THE SAME WITH THE PASSENGER SIDE SUN VISOR.

TOM