Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

1989: BIRDS' EYE VIEW OF MILL HILL

Lacking the ability to intelligently place the camera man's position in this photo, I am going to take a huge leap of faith and assume it is a photo of Mill Hill from the area of the Assanpink Creek looking toward South Broad Street. My perception tells me that the familiar twin spires of Sacred Heart Church at S. Broad and Centre Street to the far right where I believe I see the steeple of the German Lutheran Church, and the street to the extreme right appears to be Livingston Avenue. Please correct me if I am in error.

4 comments:

RegButterer said...

I think that you are correct!

Tom Glover said...

THANKS REG, I NEEDED THAT!

TOM

Anonymous said...

Tom, I know what you mean but was a bit confused by the steeples of the Sacred Heart, being in the upper left.

The building under construction and in ironwork, is the "210 South Broad Street" building that would would house some state offices such as parole and family court. It was owned by the Whittnborn family of medical note here in Mercer County. I spent several years working there.

In the right distance, you can see the round State Health Laboratory and the Health and Ag building.

Of note, those three buildings were constructed, the architectural theme being to pay homage to New Jersey's Bicentennial hence, a birthday party. The round Lab is the cake with candles atop (vent stacks) and the Health and Labor are large presents complete with large bows on top to hide mechanical equipment.

Unknown said...

Tom, I think you are right on. I think the homes in the foreground are on the lower end of Mercer Street, with the Assanpink at the bottom of the picture.
Noel