Search This Blog

Thursday, November 28, 2013

1934: THE ORPHEUM AND STACY THEATERS, E. STATE STREET

How I love this photo! The clarity is remarkable. Years ago, many professional photographers used the classic "Graflex" camera, and I would be that these Maxwell photos were produced by that camera. I have an intense interest in photos of old Trenton, and when theaters appear in the photos, I am completely fascinated. For those too young to know, the old Orpheum theater was replaced by the Mayfair; one of Trenton's first run theaters. I remember going there as a boy with my father to see "Destroyer" with Glenn Ford and Edward G. Robinson. I was completely overwhelmed with the blue mirrors that lined the walls as you entered that beautiful theater.

2 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM...HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! THIS IS THE BLOCK OF STATE ST. THAT I SOLD THE TIMES IN 1934. THE PAPERS WERE 2 CENTS BUT MOST PEOPLE GAVE ME A NICKEL AND SAID KEEP THE CHANGE. I WOULD EARN ABOUT 50 CENTS AND FELT RICH. BEST REGARDS.

Anonymous said...

It seems that in the 1950's and 60's that each theater catered to a niche. The Mayfair seemed to be more geared to adult tastes and the Capitol and Trent competed for the teen age dollars. As kids we spend most of our movie dollars on Broad Street watching Sean Connery as Bond, James Bond.

Ed Millerick