Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

1931: REMEMBERING THE COAL BIN



It's fun to remember long forgotten vestiges of my and many other visitors' past. For instance, take a look at the Kuser Coal ad. Go ahead, call your children or grandchildren to the computer and show them a part of earlier households where a coal bin was built for storing coal before oil and gas heat were the flavor of the day. As a boy, I can still remember the thrill of our coal man backing his dump truck up to our cellar window, sliding the coal chute off of the truck, setting the end on our cellar window sill, lifting the door on the back of his dump truck and the coal sliding noisily into our coal bin with another load of "Chestnut" or "Pea"
coal. And what about Manny Moe and Jack? I didn't patronize that store, but I was there a time or two. My preference was for Penn Jersey over on South Warren Street. Check out those prices!

No comments: