Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

1992: TOM GLOVER'S CAMP OLDEN - LAWTON CONNECTION



From the newsletter of the Camp Olden Civil War Roundtable, this note on the search for the very elusive Camp Olden:


Below is the column I wrote back in 1992, wherein I suggested that a monument to Camp Olden be constructed at the intersection of Hamilton Avenue and Liberty Street, based on the Lawton family reunion article which is cited in my column. I can't find my copy of Mr. Seliga's "The Search for Camp Olden." I am interested in Mr. Seliga's bibliographical information on his research so that I can continue my quest. If any Camp Olden C.W. Roundtable visitors

MY 1992 RESEARCH ALSO FOUND THE GENERAL LOCATION OF CAMP OLDEN, AND THE SUBSEQUENT ESTABLISHMENT OF CAMP OLDEN PARK. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR DEFINITIVE INFORMATION ON THE BOUNDARIES OF THAT CIVIL WAR SITE FOR YEARS. AT THE TIME, MR. BOB BUTERA AND VINCE MERCANDETTI CONTACTED THEN MAYOR JOHN RAFFERTY AND THE PARK WAS ESTABLISHED.


No comments: