Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

1936: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Many of the eateries, saloons,bars, and restaurants in the above graphic are no longer with us. However, it's fun to look over the list and the depression era prices for a night that I always stayed up to experience.....uhh, wait, let me expand on that statement. I loved to welcome in the New Year with Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians, and that old New Years eve standard, "Should Auld Acquaintance be forgot." I abandoned ship when they decided to bring in Dick Clark, did away with that "treacly" (sugary, syrupy)  music, and decided we all wanted a "Rockin' New Years Eve." No thanks, I'll pass on that privilege. I prefer that treacly, syrupy music instead raucous noise.

4 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TOM...1936 WAS A GREAT YEAR FOR ME. THAT WAS THE YEAR I WAS SELECTED TO PLAY ON THE SCHROTH/S AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL TEAM. IT WAS LIKE PLAYING FOR THE NEW YORK YANKEES. I WAS TOLD TO GO TO MAYHAM & SILVERS SPORTING GOODS STORE AND PICK UP SPIKE SHOES, A NEW GLOVE AND GET MEASURED FOR A UNIFORM. I WAS USING AN OLD GLOVE AND NEVER HAD SPIKE SHOES. IT REALLY WAS SOMETHING FOR ANY KID TO PLAY FOR THE SCHROTHS, REGARDS.

Mack said...

Happy New Year Tom and welcome back:)
I love these tavern/cafe/restaurant
lists you publish. I grab the places that apply to the Burg area
from them. Let me underline again how valuable to me they are as a history of the Burg area. Note in
this ad ROSSI'S is 147 Merline Avenue in Eldridge Park AKA Lawrence Twp..was that a misprint or was Rossi's once located there?
Fun Stuff:)

Ralph Lucarella said...

MAC, THAT ROSSI'S WAS NOT THE SAME AS ROSSI'S ON FRANKLIN AND MORRIS AVES. THERE WERE MANY ROSSI;S IN NORTH TRENTON AND I GO BACK TO THE 1920.S WITH GIL ROSSI AND HIS FAMILY IN THE BURG.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Tom! How fun to see the ad for Johnny Goldy and his San Tan Orchestra playing at Len's Grill at Brunswick and Olden in 1936! Uncle John was the drummer in the band and my father's brother. I have a picture and will stop by with it soon. Lakeside Girl