Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

1897, 1898: THE TRENTON COUNTRY CLUB "IN THE BEGINNING"

It took a bit of cutting, copying, and pasting and tweaking to present this graphic detailing the fabled Trenton Country Club. As can be seen in the two articles, the property was the old Woodruff farm in Ewing across from the "State Insane Hospital." I did a presentation at the club a couple of years ago, but I have tried to recall the sponsoring group that invited me, but alas, I can't recall. The old homestead is breathtakingly beautiful. More interesting posts relating to the Trenton Country Club to come in future posts as they are uncovered.

YOU CAN VISIT THE COUNTRY CLUB WEBSITE AT
www.trentoncc.com
TAKE THE TOUR; IT'S FASCINATING.
Blogger Ralph Lucarella said...

HI TOM.....MY BROTHER CHUCK BELONGED AND LOVED HIS GOLF ALONG WITH THE DINNING FACILITIES. HIS DAUGHTER VANESSA HAD HER WEDDING RECEPTION THERE. I WAS TOLD, IN THE EARLY DAYS, THAT IT WAS HARD TO JOIN UNLESS YOU CAME OVER ON THE MAYFLOWER. MOST OF THE ITALIAN DOCTORS FROM THE BURG BELONGED BUT I'M TOLD THE JEWISH DOCTORS HAD PROBLEMS. THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE GREEN ACRES COUNTRY CLUB IN LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP, WHICH ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE A FINE COMPLEX. I RECALL MANY KIDS FROM THE BURG WERE CADDIES AT BOTH CLUBS, WHICH HELPED DURING THE TOUGH YEARS.


1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI TOM.....MY BROTHER CHUCK BELONGED AND LOVED HIS GOLF ALONG WITH THE DINNING FACILITES. HIS DAUGHTER VANESSA HAD HER WEDDING RECEPTION THERE. I WAS TOLD, IN THE EARLY DAYS, THAT IT WAS HARD TO JOIN UNLESS YOU CAME OVER ON THE MAYFLOWER. MOST OF THE ITALIAN DOCTORS FROM THE BURG BELONGED BUT I'M TOLD THE JEWISH DOCTORS HAD PROBLEMS. THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE GREENACRES COUNTRY CLUB IN LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP, WHICH ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE A FINE COMPLEX. I RECALL MANY KIDS FROM THE BURG WERE CADDIES AT BOTH CLUBS, WHICH HELPED DURING THE TOUGH YEARS.