Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

1950's LET'S DO LUNCH AT WOOLWORTH'S 5 & 10!

Many thanks to Joyce Adams Elliott for this splendid menu from Woolworth's "five and dime." I remember how great it was to have a hot dog at either Kresge's or Woolworth's in downtown Trenton back in my younger years. Check out those prices!



ABOVE IS A CUT AND PAST OF A GRAPHIC I POSTED BACK IN APRIL, 2009. THIS MORNING I RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM BERNIE DELAVERSANO, ONE OF MY REGULAR VISITORS WHO SENT ANOTHER MENU TO ME. BERNIE'S EMAIL INCLUDED A NUMBER OF COMMENTS WHICH ARE PERTINENT TO THIS GRAPHIC:
================================
Thanks to "Bernie D" for the following email:

For those not familiar with Woolworth's, it was what we called a five & dime store and they had soda fountains in the stores. When I was a kid, we ate lunch everyday at Newberry's, another five and dime with a fountain. You could leave the school grounds for lunch back in those days and we would all walk downtown. Best hotdog I've ever had and all of 25 cents if I remember correctly... Yummmmmmmmm! !!

An oldie coming around again.

This brings back so many memories of a better time!!

1957 Sandwich Menu from Woolworths.. .

I wondered who to send this to - who would actually remember Woolworth's and eating at a Woolworth's.

It is a good memory. Isn't it fun just to receive an email that doesn't make you crazy but just brings back good memories?


1957 sandwich menu from Woolworth's. ...our generation's fast food.


If any of you have doubt about what we kids paid for a coke and a sandwich at Woolworths (How many don't know what Woolworth's was?) in the 1950's, here's proof of the era we lived in........

6 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hey Tom; Those 5 and 10 cent stores were the greatest. You did'nt have to look all over the store for soneone to wait on you. Each dept had a sales person and it was a pleasure to shop there. Their food counters were the neatest and the prices were hard to beat anywhere. Once again, we have to repeat the old saying, those were the days. Have a nice day.

Unknown said...

I worked in the lunch counter for over two yrs in 1962 to 1964. I put myself thru high school. Every Sat. my friends would stop by and say hi, eat a slice of Pizza and listen to the records Marie Wood was playing back at the record counter. Wonderful memories. Beverly Dittrich

Beverly andersson said...

Tom, thank you for the wonderfull memories of my childhood. I spent 5 yrs at St. Michael's orphange in Hopewell, and WORKED AT Woolworth's at the lunchcounter on State St. from 1962 to Jan 1964. I graduated from Trenton High June 1964. I have your column on my favorites list so I can go on it anytime I want. I had such wonderful times growing up there I almost miss living in Jersey. I'm too old to shovel the snow. from Beverly (Dittrich) Andersson.

Amy Cooper said...

This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding particular topic thanks for this share.
whitefish real estate

Anonymous said...

My mother used to work there. We lived on Front St. Went there all the time. Great memories


.

Unknown said...

Anyone have a good photo of the store from the street