Search This Blog

Saturday, November 21, 2009

1900: THE NEW BUILDING AT ELLIS ISLAND

My father, and countless other mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and friends went through this building as they embarked on a new life in the land of the free and the home of the brave. My father, his brother and their two sisters passed through after debarking from the "Baltic" where they crossed in steerage. Steerage? That's the bottom of the ship, where many who couldn't afford first class passage were placed.

2 comments:

Mack said...

Hi Tom:)
As someone who has done genealogy
on my own folks and helped some others do it I love this post:)
A mere hour and some change train
ride from here got all of our folks to the Trenton area:)
I too had folks come thru here:)

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: My mother often told me about their trip from Italy. She came over twice, once as a baby and again a little older. She also mentioned the storeage area where people stayed on the ship that could'nt afford better accomodations. Regards, Ralph