Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2009

1946: BROOKHILL DAIRY FARM HAMILTON TOWNSHIP NJ

The township has bestowed upon me the unofficial title of Hamilton Township Historian. The gentleman shown in the photo above is the late Robert "Bob" Simpkins. Bob should have been formally and officially appointed as the historian of Hamilton Township. He was one of the Charter members and organizers of the Hamilton Township Historical Society. He was also a walking-talking encyclopedia when it came to Hamilton history. As I have said so many times in so many posts on this website, I was completely out of touch with Hamilton Township during the decades of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, commuting daily to my office in New Brunswick. It was only after I retired in the late 90's when I became active in the Hamilton Historical Society that I got to know Bob . During my terms as President of the Society, Bob and I became fast friends. His advancing age precluded driving to the monthly meetings, and it was my privilege to be his chauffeur, bringing him to the monthly meetings and driving him home at their conclusion. Bob loved the idea that I was bringing local history into the 21st century and concentrating not only on the John Abbott II House, but all the countless interesting persons, places, and things relating to Hamilton that have been buried in oblivion. When I would pick him up from his Yardville home and we headed to the meetings, Bob would point out the location of the farms and farmers he remembered from his youth. The Stelle, Quigley, Bertothy, and other farms which were now carved into offices, Condos, shopping centers, etc. He told of his younger years as a student at the old Edgebrook School and the old Yardville School. He told fascinating tales of his experiences at his family's Brookhill Farms, and equally fascinating tales of his family's relationship with the neighboring Allinson family. I really miss Bob Simpkins; the fellow who should have been formally given the title of Hamilton Township Historian. His lack of a formally bestowed title reminded me of my mother's admonition that she would rather have flowers given to her while she was alive instead of laying them on her grave. Bob passed away in 2008 at the age of 102; I really miss his gentlemanly demeanor.

No comments: