Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

1911:THE BROAD STREET THEATRE


This long forgotten theatre started out as the "BROAD STREET THEATRE," and was ultimately taken over by RKO Radio and re-named the RKO PALACE THEATRE. Please don't correct my spelling on the word "Theatre." For some reason, theaters were always written up as theatres, with a juxtapositioning of the "re -er". During my years of visiting local theaters, the Palace was considered off the beaten path. I do recall going there one time back in the 1940's, and going across the street to a great little store that sold all kinds of novelties. In fact, I remember buying one of those water squirting things that you put in your lapel and squirted on an unsuspecting buddy....also one of those wind up gizmos that you placed in your hand and buzzed hell out of your buddy's left hand. Ahh, the memories do indeed linger!

2 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi again Tom: I recall the RKO Palace as being the first theatre in Trenton to present big time vaudeville. I believe at that time the Trent Theatre on Warren St. and the Palace along with the State Theatre on E. State were all showing movies along with stage shows. I went to the State often to see Lewis Mack and his show. Of course we sat on the 3rd floor, which I think cost 10 cents.

Ralph Lucarella said...

I negleted to include the Capitol Theatre in that group of theatres that presented vaudeville shows . The Capitol was on Broad St. right next to my favorite 5 and 10 cent store where the hot dogs and root beer were 5 cents each.