Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

1897: HAVE I FOUND ASAY SPRINGS?

I have had two or three visitors to my website asking about the location of Asay Springs. I think I may have found the answer. The obit in the shaded area above right reports the passing of Mr. Pearson A. Cubberley, and as you can see, it mentions his farm which is located on the site of Asay Springs. I have super-imposed a black arrow, pointing to the farm of "P. Cubberley, including two buildings, and if you look closeley, you will see that he held 80 acres. That area along Crosswick's Creek, along with Broad Street Park's Spring Lake, was the location of numerous underground springs. The draw bridge shown in the map is long gone, replaced by the bridge that crosses Crosswicks Creek on Route 206 South.
(A note from Tom: There was a Revolutionary War skirmish
at that draw bridge.)

No comments: