Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2017

1897: TRENTON LOOKING SOUTH FROM THE SPIRE AT ST. MARY'S CATHEDRAL

In 1897, the Daily State Gazette published a 16 page full size supplement entitled "189b INDUSTRIAL EDITION," and it is now well preserved in the Hamilton Township Public Library's Local History Collection, and what a treasure. For years I have been opining about the number of libraries who fell for the "microfilm" conversion of their huge volumes and sold millions of reels to libraries who had no idea at the time that there would be such a thing as digital duplication! In return for ordering those space saving microfilm reels that fit in a small cabinet, the libraries gained much needed space, but time has proven that they should have been preserved. Modern technology allows me to duplicate these incredibly beautiful engravings, photo graphs and articles in as good and many times better than the original. Thankfully our huge 100-plus year collection of Trenton newspapers are taking up half of my local history workshop, but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I think of the treasures I saved for posterity!

No comments: