Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2016

1943: AMERICA WILL NEED FLIERS!

One of the treasures in my old time radio collection is a selection of world war two broadcasts of my childhood hero, Hop Harrigan. Announcer Glenn Riggs was famous for his nightly admonition on the 15 minute radio program as he proclaimed, "and remember, AMERICA NEED FLIERS!" This ad from my WWII folder coincides with the year that my older brother Len was flying daily missions over Nazi German cities in a B 24 Liberator.

1 comment:

Lee Belardino said...

Tommy
It was Hop Harrigan who came on right after school and Steve Canyon(remember him) who got me to join the air force. I wanted to fly like them but I could not pass the eye teat Couldn't even qualify for tail gunner. so stayed on the ground for 21 years supporting the other"sky guys" just like Steve and Hoppy.American pilots are the greatest.
Lee