Search This Blog

Thursday, September 03, 2015

1941: HARRY PODMORE'S "TRENTON IN BYGONE DAYS"

 
Harry Podmore, and John Cleary before him were always of interest to me as a young boy. I became an avid follower of these two historians and their "Bygone Days" columns right up to the time when the late, great Bill Dwyer took over the reins. Now to the above graphics. They are from the same January 1941 column and took up nearly 12 inches of the newspaper page. It occurred to me that it would be much more relevant to historians and researchers if extracts from different subjects were to be cut and pasted into an easily read article featuring one specific subject. Additionally, the original Dolton's Block Bygone Days portion was extracted, and from my own history database a vintage newspaper photo of the Dolton building was placed aside the BGD column with a mini map of the area showing where the building is located. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine whether the building was on the South or Northwest corner of the intersection. 
As this blog approaches 900,000 "hits," it is nice to know that part of its success is due to visitors who add historical articles, photos and maps to those which I post. Such was the case with visitor Rich Sauers who was kind enough to do research and come up with these two graphics which focus on the actual location of Dolton's Block. Many thanks Rich; your two scans are much appreciated and I can now remove the last line of my original caption "I am unable to determine whether the building was on the South or Northwest corner of the intersection."Rich's scans follow along with his email to me. THANKS, RICH!

Mr. Glover,
Great blog, been reading for quite a while.

Today's post about Dolton's Block caught my eye, and sent me online for a bit of internet research this evening.
A panoramic map of Trenton by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler in 1874 had Dolton's Block highlighted as number 10. That view (detail from map attached) shows that the photo in your article shows Dolton's Block facing Warren Street, and from Google Maps it looks to have been directly across the street from today's Warren Street Plaza. Evert and Stewart's 1875 county atlas also marked the block's location (also attached).



No comments: