Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2015

1936: WEST STATE STREET ON "HOTEL ROW"

Since I discovered these Duke University photos 6 months or so ago, I have found that working on them reminds me of the years I spent at Juanita Crosby's Bordentown art class back in the 1960's. This time, I am gazing at a photograph rather than one of my pastel or pen and ink drawings. This photo has been carefully enhanced as PhotoShop allows me to zero in on the signage and bring it into full legibility. The policeman's jacket was all black and a slight tweak brought contrast. All of which gives us an incredibly beautiful photo of Trenton's West State Street as it was some 80 years ago. As I work on these Maxwell "canvases," I am magically feel a part of the scene.

2 comments:

rayfromvillapark said...

Hi Tom, The cop on the corner is distracted by the cameraman, while the woman is jaywalking and the guy is crossing against the light.LOL See the GO GO on his signal pole, for traffic on West State. Late fall of 1936, because the first parked car, to the right, is a brand new 1937 Oldsmobile. Note the winterfront covering the grille of the 1936 Chevrolet, parked to the left. rayfromvillapark

Tom Glover said...

I knew I could depend on you, Ray! You are my resident auto expert, not to mention a detail man. I didn't notice thee Jaywalker until you pointed it out. As to that new Oldsmobile, only you could recognize it from the rear trunk!
MANY THANKS