Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

1910: "ST. MARY'S CATHEDRAL SCHOOL"

 
I have around 50 articles and photos of Trenton's Cathedral High School, including a number of issues of the school newspaper, "BLUE AND GOLD." The charming seniors in the 1910 photo revive memories of the Victorian era when "a glimpse of stocking was looked on as simply shocking" and modesty in dress, etiquette and good breeding were the custom of the day. I note a number of familiar surnames in the lower photo: Sullivan, McLaughlin, Tobin, Martin, etc. Any family names in there that you know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, I knew that my history teacher at Trenton Central was old, very old, when she addressed me one day with, "Mister Millerick, you sir aren't half the student that your sister was (we were 19 years apart), when I taught her at Cathedral High and she, was not half the student that your father was!"

That was Miss Julia DeWan.

Ed Millerick