Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

1949: SOUTH BROAD AT GREENWOOD AND CENTRE STREETS

There's the very familiar Samuel F.B. Light appliance store on the corner of Greenwood Avenue and South Broad Street. At the time, Greenwood Avenue was a through street before it was cut off when the Trenton Freeway was built and the area took the name of the "Barlow Circle." In the photo, Centre Street is seen on the far right behind the light standard. The photo was taken in front of Sacred Heart Church.

3 comments:

Jersey Girl said...

Sam Light's Furniture was the best! My parents bought so much there, then when I got married in1960, I patronized the store and then again in 1970. It was great for young couples just starting out because you could pay a little at a time - no specific charge or payment plan. I still remember going in there. Thanks for the memory!!

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

SAMMY AND BENNY LIGHT WERE THE MOST POPULAR PEOPLE IN THE BURG DURING THE DEPRESSION YEARS. SAMMY'S DAUGHTER CO-STARRED WITH TONY DANZA ON TV IN "WHOSE THE BOSS. REGARDS.

JoeB said...

I remember my Mother telling me about the Light Brothers. They did a lot of business in the Burg, sure helped a lot of people. I am not sure but I believe the Phrase "A Dollar down and a Dollar per Week." Came from them.