Search This Blog

Friday, July 05, 2013

1845: TRENTON MACHINE WORKS

Back in the early 1950's when I was a newly hired driver for my dead end job at the bearing company, one of my frequent deliveries was to the old New Jersey Agricultural Works facility on Hamilton Avenue at the railroad crossing. It wasn't until I un-covered the graphic above that I learned that there was a connection of the R. Butterworth's Trenton Machine Works and the aforementioned N.J. Agricultural Works. The era of flat belt driven overhead "line shafts" was on its way out and babbitted bearings were being replaced with ball and roller bearing pillow blocks. All of which brings me to a very poignant observation: One's memory only needs a slight gleam of recognition to bring into focus a subject that has been heretofore completely buried deeply within my memory bank; in this case, the New Jersey Agricultural Works Hamilton Avenue facility. .

No comments: