Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

1950: MY FRIEND, RAY SYPNIEWSKI: FIRST LOCAL KOREAN WAR CASUALTY

I don't understand why Ray Sypniewski has not received more recognition in the local area. After all, he was the first man to give up his life as a fatality in the Korean War. Back in the 1980's I received a communication from Harry Sypniewski advising me of Ray's ultimate sacrifice. I immediately wrote the column above in honor of one of my childhood friends. A tear comes to my eye as I remember how Mom Glover observed that he was such a polite and very good looking boy. Ray was a hero and I was privileged to be his and the Sypniewski family's friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom:

I didn't know your buddy, but I did know Capt.Leon Kramer, at least I knew his family. I had thought Leon had the distinction of being the first casualty, but upon reflection, I think Leon was an "Advisor" prior to hostilities.
He was a newphew to Stanly Winowicz the funderal director.

May all our fallen heros rest in Peace.

Mike Kuzma