Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

1946: STATE AND BROAD I KNEW SO WELL

That bus stop rignt in front of the Wilson store is where our Trenton Transit "L-9" Liberty Street bus pulled up and let us off. I have fond memories of stepping to the curb with my mom as we went to pay the Public Service bill and go for a jaunt down the hill to Goldbergs. Mom would go to the notions counter, and let me check out Goldberg's fabulous "Toyland." An open air news stand was also on that South Broad Street corner all during those golden Trenton years. Memories indeed are made of this! I note that a number of these R.C. Maxwell copy righted photos are appearing on Facebook. Please note that all my Hamilton Library posts obeys the U.S. Copyright laws by crediting R.C. Maxwell-Duke University Collection under the "fair use" provision, for educational purposes only.

4 comments:

Sally Logan Gilman said...

Hi Tom: This was the "crossroads'' of my early years. So much has changed but this exact spot will live with me forever, thanks to you.

Tom Glover said...

Your sentiments are mine, Sally. Precious memories of a special era.

XO
Tom

rayfromvillapark said...

Hi Tom, I always check out the marquee, when there is a movie theater in the photo. The movie playing at the Capital, is There Goes My Love, with Don Ameche and Myrna Loye. It also appears that there are highlights, or a rerun of the Billy Conn, Joe Louis fight, that took place at Yankee Stadium. Louis won, by knocking out Conn in the 8th round. Happened in 1946. rayfromvillapark

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI AGAIN TOM...MY FATHER ALWWAYS BOUGHT HIS HATS AT THAT STETSON STORE. HE ALSO HAD HIS SUITS MADE AT JAHOS TAILORS. HE CLAIMED THE BEST CLOTHES YOU BUY ARE THE CHEAPEST CAUSE THEY LAST LONGER. MY FATHER HAD A LOT OF CLASS BUT HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF PASSING AWAY EARLY IN LIFE AT 52. MAY GOD BLESS HIM.