Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

2012 - 2013: PREVIEWS OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

Above is a very small chronological listing of just a few of the subjects from the *"AMERICAN-ITALIAN" folder in the Hamilton Township Public Library Local History Collection.

The coming of the fall and winter season brings my community activities from the Kuser Farm Gazebo to local venues where I can present my history and music programs to those citizens who are interested. F0r many years I have been collecting and saving local historical bits and pieces with the goal of presenting some the the vast collection of folders I have amassed over the past 50 years. The above colored graphic is a poster I have stored in my computer for a near future program which will be presented as an on-screen presentation. The large green space at the bottom of the graphic beginning with "An on-screen presentation..." will be replaced with the date and time which this program will be presented. Based on the number of citizens who saw the first Chambersburg presentation of a few years ago, I am sure there will be an interest in this up-dated version which will also touch on many of the articles and photos I have in an allied computer folders entitled, "American-Italian" and another "St. Joachim's Parish." My interest in the Italian families who came to America and settled in a country that at the time was not too cordial in welcoming these foreigners into the area is a fascinating story. Included are stories of how they labored at back-breaking jobs on the railroad, John A. Roebling's factory, and other labor intensive jobs, but still managed to go to night school to learn the English language, and volunteer their time to help to build a church of their own.

*My dear friend, the late Italian historian Bob Immordino corrected me many years ago when I used the then-common term "Italian-American." Bob asked me to please use the term
"AMERICAN-ITALIAN," and I do that to this very day.

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM...MANY OF THE ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS IN CHAMBERSBURG STAYED IN THE NEW YORK AREA AFTER ARRIVING AT ELLIS ISLAND. MY BROTHER LOU AND SISTER ROSE WERE BORN IN NEW YORK AND MANY MADE THEIR WAY TO TRENTON TO SEEK WORK. ROEBLINGS WAS THE BIGGEST EMPLOYER BUT MY FATHER FOUND WORK IN THE POTTERY INDUSTRY. I CAN RECALL MOST OF THE FAMILES DURING THE 20'S AND THROUGHOUT MANY YEARS. REGARDS.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

No comments: