Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

1955: WHEN MOTHER NATURE DESTROYED THE YARDLEY BRIDGE

"Yardley bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,
Yardley Bridge is falling down, my fair lady.."

This great photo of the destruction of the Yardley bridge was sent to me by my friend and fellow Sacred Heart parishioner Bill Kearney Sr. Bill managed to capture just the right angle to see the damage caused by that destructive area wide floods that hit this area back in August, 1955. I was over in Europe in the U.S. Army when the storm hit, but "AFN" (Armed Forces Network) radio gave it full coverage. A house from up river came floating merrily merrily down the stream and slammed into the bridge, taking out a major portion of the span. I have re-formatted the front page above, superimposed Bill's photo over a not too clear photo of the bridge as published in the Trenton Sunday Times Advertiser of August 21, 1955.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my Dad! I have the original framed and hanging in my house in Trenton's Island neighborhood. (Like I need reminders about floods!) This June 15, 2012, The Island Neighborhood is hosting a garden tour...the theme..Flooded with Flowers. Stop by...10-3 pm. Bill K., Jr.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Delete

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my Dad! I have the original framed and hanging in my house in Trenton's Island neighborhood. (Like I need reminders about floods!) This June 15, 2012, The Island Neighborhood is hosting a garden tour...the theme..Flooded with Flowers. Stop by...10-3 pm. Bill K., Jr.