Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

1907: TRENTON'S OLD "TRI-STATE"BASEBALL FIELD

This early offset newspaper photo is not as clear as I would like to see, but with a bit of Photoshopping I was able to bring out a semblance of recognition of one of Trenton's popular sports fields from the early part of the 20th century. The Tri-State league was much like the old Interstate League with teams from Lancaster, and other towns within the tri state area. It was also the host to numerous major league teams who visited for practice and exhibition games. It was located on land currently occupied by Junior 3 in the Cadwalader section of Trenton. The YMCA field was also located in that area, a bit east of the Tri-State.

1 comment:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM...OF COURSE I WAS'NT AROUND AT THAT TIME, BUT THE FIELD RESENBLES WETZEL FIELD, WITH THE GRANDSTAND AND BLEACHERS. I DO RECALL MY BROTHER LOU ATTENDING JUNIOR 3 WHILE THE OLD TRENTON HIGH WAS BEING BUILT, I BELIEVE THAT'S CORRECT. THAT'S THE FIRST TIME I READ ABOUT THE OLD INTER-STATE LEAGUE. THAT FIELD WAS PRETTY FAR FROM THE BURG, WAS'NT IT? REGARDS.