Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

1937: ST. JOACHIM GRAMMAR SCHOOL CLASS OF 1937

"Chianese, Laurenti, Ricci, Gervasio......" There are many very familiar family names in the St. Joachim class of 1937. Back in the early years from the teens through the 1950's, the Trenton Times was noted for their wonderful photo spreads showing the graduating classes from schools all over their circulation area. The above photo is one of those pristine examples; preserved here for posterity.

A NOTE FROM TOM:
Some computer graphics present a challenge. Many of the class photos in my collection were rolled up and very long in physical size. In order to bring the best possible recognizable facial image to the screen, a bit of Photoshopping is required. On the other hand, the above image is a proverbial "piece of cake.' The original offset photo image from the Trenton Times allows for digital enhancement that allows the viewer to see his or her relative in one high definition scan. On the other hand, those very long rolled up class photos with 70 to 100 people in the photo usually call for a dual scan. Half the class from the left, the other half from the right, resulting in two images.
RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM...THERE ARE QUITE A FEW NAMES IN THAT PHOTO THAT SURPRISE ME. FRANK AND MARIO LAURENTI ALONG WITH RAYMOND AGABITI WERE FRIENDS I THOUGHT WENT TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS. 1937 WAS MY GRADUATION YEAR AT TRENTON HIGH BUT I WASN'T ABLE TO FINISH. I WAS LOOKING FOR WORK TO HELP OUT AT HOME AT A TIME WHEN THINGS WERE PRETTY TOUGH. REGARDS.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hi Ralph: This also happened in the Glover family. Due to the depression, my sister Dorothy had to leave school in the 8th grade to get a job to boost the family income. She went to work at Circle F. My brother Len was drafted out of Hamilton High School in his senior year and inducted into the U.S. Army Air Corps. He received a diploma even though he didn't finish his senior year.

Tom Glover

Delete
Blogger Mack said...

Wonderful Tom:) With every list that contains old Burg names as I read along I know some family of a few and can remember some names being called by teachers at attendence in my school days:)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012


2 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM...THERE ARE QUITE A FEW NAMES IN THAT PHOTO THAT SURPRISE ME. FRANK AND MARIO LAURENTI ALONG WITH RAYMOND AGABITI WERE FRIENDS I THOUGHT WENT TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS. 1937 WAS MY GRADUATION YEAR AT TRENTON HIGH BUT I WAS'NT ABLE TO FINISH. I WAS LOOKING FOR WORK TO HELP OUT AT HOME AT A TIME WHEN THINGS WERE PRETTY TOUGH. REGARDS.

Mack said...

Wonderful Tom:)

With every list that contains old Burg names as I read along I know some family of a few and can remember some names being called by teachers at attendence in my school days:)