Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

2011: COMING SOON TO A TOWN NEAR YOU: ST. PATRICK'S DAY PARADE

In only a few weeks,we will be joining in on that annual "wearin' o' the green" St. Patrick's Day Celebration. This year, as last there will be a Hamilton parade, and the traditional Trenton parade. Above is a photo of "Irish Billy Briggs" who passed away much to early in life. In years past, I still see him proudly singing the Irish National Anthem in front of St. Anthony of Padua Church on Hamilton Avenue in Hamilton Township. The Glover connection to Irish heritage is an interesting situation. My father was born in Longton, Stoke on Trent in England. My wife's Irish family heritage is Kelly green Irish, with Belfast being her grandmother's birthplace. When my father was alive, the subject of the British involvement was always discussed on St. Patrick's Day. My father was a hopeless left wing liberal. Whenever the subject of St. Patrick's Day came up, I can still hear the old man opining that the Brits "should get the hell out of Ireland."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. And now they should depart .. the North of Ireland.

Ed Millerick