Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

2007: ST. ANTHONY PARISH COMMUNITY ROOM

When I retire completely, I intend to write a book. It probably will be of interest only to "locals" but one of the chapters in the book will be devoted to the countless hours I spent as a parishioner, Lector, Music provider, Eucharistic Minister, Holy Name Society President, PTA President. I will be sure to include detailed stories relating my favorite "men of the cloth" at St. Anthony during my years there, the "Iron Mike," Monsignor Michael P. McCorristin, and then-Father Leonard Toomey, Father Liam Minogue, Father Danny Cahill, and my favorite Nun, Sister Dolora, who was instrumental in organizing my "Wings of Song" scriptural music singers.
My PTA and Holy Name Society tenure brings to mind the beautifully restored "church basement" we see in the photo above. Back in the 1960's when my 3 children attended St. Anthony Grammar School, the basement was in very poor condition with hard to clean asphalt tile flooring, water-stained walls, and dilapidated furniture. It was in this room that we hosted countless PTA and Holy Name Society events. Those who are my contemporaries will recall that the mirror finish on that floor and the beautiful NEW tables were not part of our experience. Indeed, a number of our tables collapsed while events were in progress. You'll have to wait for my book for the detailed stories, but I have a million of them, including the demise of our wonderful guitar singing group, Wings of Song" which was formed to entice the younger generation to Mass.

No comments: