Search This Blog

Friday, December 02, 2011

2011: CHRISTMAS IN DOWNTON TRENTON AS I KNEW IT

A yellow and green Trenton Transit bus pulls up to the curb at State and Broad; there’s the loud "swish" of its air brakes as it stops at the curb. The door opens and we step to the curb: Christmas shopping in Trenton during the city’s golden years!. The aroma of the bus' diesel exhaust mingles with the delightful aroma of roasted nuts, and hot coffee, while Christian and secular Christmas music fills the air. With all the glitzy shopping centers that proliferate in this 21st century, I realize how very much I miss those many Christmas visits we made to the vibrant town of the Trenton of my youth.

Anonymous Sally Logan Gilman said...

Hi Tom: So many Merry Christmas memories and so little time -- thanks for the wonderful reminders. Santa was stationed at Swerns and I can still recall the scent of diesel fumes from the buses we rode into and out of downtown. Even now, all these many, many years later, whenever I get a whiff of that aroma it takes me back. Speaking of a Flexible Flyer, I still have mine. It was a very precious gift and will also be treasured. Merry Christmas.

Friday, December 02, 2011

Delete
Blogger JoeZ said...

Hi Tom: I received my air rifle one Christmas morning of course it was the non BB type but it sure stirred up the dogs in the neighborhood. You bring back great memories.

Friday, December 02, 2011





























































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And that double barrel pop gun JoeZ got was only 24 cents down at the Sun Ray Drugs back then.

When you lost the corks you could shoot, dirt, grapes and the worst "ammo" were those red berries from the "hew" bushes all soft and squishy.

Ed Millerick