Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

1944: SANTA WITHOUT HIS SLEIGH NOR HIS BUS!

I colorized this Trenton Evening Times photo many years ago. It was taken during a one day strike by Trenton Transit drivers over an overtime pay dispute. The employees chose the coldest day of the early winter season to stage a walkout. I was particularly enamored with this photo due to the fact that my "Sentimental Journey" column in today's Trenton Times tells about the Santa I met during one of my Christmas shopping visits to Trenton with my mom back during the war years. And don't you know? I would bet that this is the same Santa I saw when I asked my mom why his mouth was talking but his beard wasn't. Be that as it may, my memories of shopping in the beautiful, safe, and very much alive center city Trenton will be with me and all those many contemporaries who experienced a wonderful and viable capitol city.

No comments: