Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

1920's AND 30's: THE HOWE FAMILY OF PENNINGTON


At the ripe old age of 78 going on 79 and on the very threshold of becoming an octogenarian, I find that after all these many years, I have a special place in my heart for the neighborhood in which I grew up, which just happens to be at 131 Hartley Avenue, across the street from the Kuser Farm. The Glover involvement with the Kusers dates back to 1939 when brother Bill "Buddy" as he was called by Fritz and Edna Kuser, began working for them. Bud became Fritz's right hand man operating those 35 millimeter projectors when they were showing movies in the upscale hotels in the Jackson, New Hampshire area, when they spent each summer. When Bud went into the Navy in 1945, I replaced my brother and asked if my best buddy Don Slabicki could also work with us. Fritz and Edna agreed, and as it turned out, "Tommy" Glover didn't have the same 35 millimeter movie projector operators skills as brother Bud. However, Donald did, and was a reliable replacement for my brother. I could go on forever, but space is at a minimum, and I don't want to bore my visitors with the hundreds of stories I could and have told over the years in my columns about my wonderful Kuser Farm. I met each and everyone of the wonderful folks on this page during my years working odd jobs for Fritz and Edna Kuser back in the 1940's and early 1950's. These graphics are stored for posterity in my "KUSER FAMILY" folder in the Hamilton Township Public Library's Local History Collection. Both of these families will go down in history as being a significant role in the history of Pennington, Trenton, and Hamilton township during the late 19th and into the 20th century. For years I have been accumulating any and all graphics and news articles on these two families who made their mark as the Howe family of Pennington and the Kuser family of Trenton and Hamilton.
A NOTE FROM TOM: REMEMBER TO RIGHT CLICK ON THE GRAPHICS, CLICK ON "OPEN LINK IN A NEW WINDOW"AND ENLARGE IT WITH THE + FEATURE.

No comments: