Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1898: A FLEETING GLIMPSE OF LIFE IN TRENTON'S 4TH WARD

I find a certain fascination in reading the community news from that long gone era when Trenton was on the rise. The South Trenton area is of particular interest. Urban redevelopment which occurred in the mid 20th century changed the South Trenton area forever. It is refreshing to read of the persons, places and things that once were.

From Mike Kuzma:
You hit a nerve with this post. This is where I grew up in the early 1930's to our move to the 1300 block of So. Broad in the 1956. Fair street was renamed "Bloomsbury St." 531 So. Warren St. was the block in which Dr. Drezner who delivered me, and his son the famous surgeon Dr. Malcolm Drezner lived, and grew up, just a few doors from Herb Speigel Famed professor, and former Furniture maven grew up. The mention of the shirt factory on Union St., was the site of Jesse Goss's gym where the world's Champion (when Titles meant somthing) Ike Williams trained. The repaving of Fall St was the block just west of my house where I was born. Mill and Fair Streets, is where Princeton Worsted Mills grew.

Thanks for refreshing my memories.
Mike Kuzma

Tuesday, October 18, 2011


NO MIKE, THANKS TO YOU FOR YOUR INTERESTING REMINISCENCES AND INSIGHTS!

TOM



3 comments:

Michael said...

Tom:

You hit a nerve with this post. This is where I grew up in the early 1930's to our move to the 1300 block of So. Broad in the 1956. Fair street was renamed "Bloomsbury St." 531 So. Warren St. was the block in which Dr. Drezner who delivered me, and his son the famous surgeon Dr. Malcomb Drezner lived, and grew up, just a few doors from Herb Speigel Famed professor, and former Furniture maven grew up.
The mention of the shirt factory on Union St., was the site of Jesse Goss's gym where the world's Champion ( when Titles meant somthing) Ike Williams trained.
The repaving of Fall St., was the block just west of my house where I was born.
Mill and Fair Streets, is where Princeton Worsted Mills grew.

Thanks for refreshing my memories.

Mike Kuzma

JoeB said...

Mike:
Would you happen to remember the Name of the shirt factory on Union Street. I remember my Mother telling me that she worked there.

Michael said...

Joe:

No, it was gone when I began to realize what was what. It sat back on Union St, next to Lavine's clothing Store to the South, and Seavy's barber shop to the north.
It was just before the incline started down to the Railroad bridge where Bridge Street intersected. It backed up to Decature St, where the blacksmith shop was.

Sorry, but I'm only 78 in December.

Mike Kuzma