Search This Blog

Thursday, September 01, 2011

1992: TOM GLOVER'S SEARCH FOR CAMP OLDEN

2011 IS THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE START OF THE CIVIL WAR

I recently spoke with a member of the Camp Olden Civil War Roundtable who did not agree to my assertion that my "The Way We Were" column (ABOVE) from 1992 was the catalyst for the establishment of the Camp Olden Park at the intersection of Hamilton Avenue and Liberty Street, referring me to the Camp Olden Civil War Roundtable site . I had been searching for years to find any and all information on that Civil War camp ground back in the 1970's when I spoke with a member of the Lawton family (Norman?) I finally found enough source information and included it in my column as you can read below It was in this column that I suggested a monument which was ultimately constructed. (closing paragraphis of the column) In my CAMP OLDEN folder is a copy of the letter to the editor from Mr. Bob Butera, an early Civil War enthusiast at and Mr. Vince Mercandetti, who was President at the time.

.

No comments: