Search This Blog

Sunday, August 07, 2011

1992: MY COLUMN ANSWERED A FELLOW COLUMNIST'S CYNICISM

Back when I was a weekly columnist for the late, great "MERCER MESSENGER" I wrote a column bemoaning the fact that America was rapidly sinking into a "cultural war" that was raging, and indeed, is raging to this day. The word "wholesome" is seldom heard in today's society. One of my colleagues wrote a "cutesy" column, obviously directed to my negative outlook on social morality. She reminded me of all the negatives of past generations: disease, segregation, crime, and numerous other human transgressions. I reminded her that I considered the glass "half full" while she saw a half empty glass. As I re-read that long forgotten column, I realize that I agree with that Tom Glover guy. In fact, I would probably update that column and write it today from that same point of view; but then again, what do you expect from a die hard "Social Conservative?"

No comments: