Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

1952: MOST OF US CHASED GIRLS WHO WERE CHASTE

How well I recall those innocent 1940's and 50's! The girls wore dresses, skirts and blouses, the boys wore shirts and neckties, and the teachers wore dresses, skirts and blouses, while their male counterparts wore a suit. There were no tie-dyed jeans, no bare feet peeking out of flip flops, and a self imposed dress code. Were you to have attended that "Peggy and the Pirates" operetta back in 1952, you would have seen all of the audience also dressed as described above. Wouldn't it be a delightful experiment to bring back some of those great old Gilbert & Sullivan, Rudolph Friml, Jerome Kern etc. operettas and expose our present generation to a bit of high school musical history? Dream on, Glover! Those simple and less complicated years are no more.
Anonymous omad said...
But at least we DID have them and we can still think back and remember what they were like. We can share bits and pieces with our kids and grand kids and talk about those grand times with our friends. Makes for good conversations all around.
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Good conversations, Eleanor, but sad conversations.
Tom

3 comments:

omad said...

But at least we DID have them and we can still think back and remember what they were like. We can share bits and pieces with our kids and grandkids and talk about those grand times with our friends. Makes for good conversations all around.

omad said...

Tom, I'm Marcia, not Eleanor. I am sure it is my screen name that throws you off. I found a picture of myself in one of my prom gowns and showed it to my grandkids. Having seen what girls are wearing to the prom lately, I am sure it was a shock.

Tom Glover said...

Abject apologies, Marcia! I inadvertently used "Lakeside Girl" screen name with yours. Marcia ("Omad") is one of my very earliest visitors. Just call it another of my all-too-frequent "senior moments."

XO
TOM GLOVER