Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

1937: VISITOR BILL MORROW NEEDS INFO ON THE TRENTON INDUSTRIAL LEAGUE


Hi Tom: My cousin Cindy Wilson Denlinger just phoned me to inform me about your website. I have been a "family history" researcher for over 20 years. Was born 1935 in Trenton on Potter Ave. (just behind the old State Fair Grounds).
Can you assist me with locating any information about the old Industrial Baseball League circa 1929-1937? I believe my father played in this league for the Maddocks Pottery Team. His name should appear in some of the box scores placed in the paper. (I am a Jr.) ALL of my mother's ancestors have lived in Hunterdon and adjacent counties for over 350 years. Thanks for any information you may provide.


HERE'S WHAT I HAVE FOUND, BILL. (SEE THE GRAPHICS BELOW) PERHAPS OUR LOCAL BASEBALL EXPERT RALPH LUCARELLA CAN ADD SOME LOCAL COLOR:
Hi again Tom:

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative response to my request. I have printed out the articles for my family history records.These 2 newspaper items confirm the fact that the boyhood stories I heard about my Dad pitching for the Maddocks Pottery team were in fact true. A real coincidence, the article dated 29 June 1937 was one of my sisters birthdays (she was born in 1931 if memory serves me correctly, later on 29 June 1941 our younger brother was born.) My birthday is 1 July so June 30 was a VERY IMPORTANT day in our house when all three birthdays were celebrated. Are you aware of any articles, memories, books etc. that have been written about the subject baseball league. I would very much like to get in touch with your "baseball expert" if he is willing to correspond. Again thank you very much Tom for taking the time and effort to add to my family history lore.


THIS FROM RALPH LUCARELLA:
Blogger Ralph Lucarella said...
HI TOM AND BILL...I SURE RECALL THE INDUSTRIAL LEAGUE BACK IN 1937. I KNEW MOST OF THE PLAYERS AND SAW MOST OF THE GAMES AT WETZEL FIELD. IT WAS A VERY STRONG LEAGUE WITH THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE CITY AND ELSEWHERE INVOLVED. I PLAYED AGAINST MANY OF THE PLAYERS IN LEGION BALL AND OTHER LEAGUES. BEST REGARDS.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
THANKS, RALPH. BILL IS VERY INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE INDUSTRIAL LEAGUE AND YOU ARE THE GUY THAT CAN HELP HIM. I KNEW YOU WERE ON A FIRST NAME BASIS WITH MANY OF THE GUYS IN THE LEAGUE. I NEED YOUR PERMISSION TO GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES, BILL AND RALPH. LET ME KNOW.


Best Regards,

Bill


Many thanks to Reg Butterer for sending this undated-unsourced article on still another team where Bill Morrow played. I never heard of the Independent League; it deserves further research.

Tom Glover

1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI TOM AND BILL...I SURE RECALL THE INDUSTRIAL LEAGUE BACK IN 1937. I KNEW MOST OF THE PLAYERS AND SAW MOST OF THE GAMES AT WETZEL FIELD. IT WAS A VERY STRONG LEAGUE WITH THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE CITY AND ELSEWHERE INVOLVED. I PLAYED AGAINST MANY OF THE PLAYERS IN LEGION BALL AND OTHER LEAGUES. BEST REGARDS.