Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

1935: SPLASHING IN PUDDLES AFTER A SUMMER RAIN

All right, all you contemporaries from the 30's and 40's, admit it! You also sloshed around in those post thunder storm summer rains.  I was a kid long before there was a TV set to occupy my childhood hours during a summer rain storm. I suspect that I am not the only one who recalls the joy of traipsing outside after a passing thunderstorm left huge puddles along the street. I am sure I  am not the only one who remembers going bare foot and splashing haphazardly all over the place. Out in the boondocks where I grew up, there were no concrete sidewalks; the street met grassy pathways and the puddles were supreme before the advent of municipal drains. Remember how we floated our boats on those all too temporary puddles? Ahh, recalling the joys traveling outdoors after a summer thunderstorm; a journey embellished with the aroma of a fresh spring rain. You talk about aromatherapy! For those who are not familiar with Clay Street where the boys are frolicking, it is located in the Mill Hill area just bordering the freeway exit to Morrisville. 

Blogger Noel said...
Tom, Both the hydrant shower and the two boys bring back memories.I lived at 235 Clay Street and the hydrant shower was across the street at Clay & Lewis. All of the children from blocks around would show up for the cooling shower. The two boys jumping in the summer shower were our neighbors and came to our neighborhood store for candy, soda and ice cream. Thanks Tom, Noel Goeke
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Thanks, Noel. I remembered that you were from Clay Street and I was sure that as an original follower of this blog, you would spot this post

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tom, Both the hydrant shower and the two boys bring back memories.I lived at 235 Clay Street and the hydrant shower was accross the street at Clay & Lewis. All of the children from blocks around would show up for the cooling shower. The two boys jumping in the summer shower were our neighbors and came to our neighborhood store for candy, soda and ice cream.
Thanks Tom,
Noel Goeke