Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

1987: HAMILTON CELEBRATES AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK

One of the sad things about aging as I approach my 77th year, is the absence of many of my old friends from "back in the day." Jack Rafferty, Bob Callahan, Al DeMartin, and Mary Anne Giovaninini, and even though I was commuting to New Brunswick during his tenure as Mayor, Maury Perilli, personal requests were amicably received and responded to immediately. The folks in the photo above come to mind. Sorry to say I never had the privilege of meeting Bob Smith nor Joe Weber. Jack Rafferty, Al DeMartin, and Bob Callahan were among the most approachable executives; always at the beck and call of the citizens who were paying their salaries. In retrospect, I can't recall a time when I telephoned any of them and got that dreaded, "can I ask you what it's about?" or "He's in a meeting." But alas, Hamilton has grown into a huge megalopolis and as it grows, burgeoning in all directions, it will probably be more difficult to receive individual one on one return phone calls or email responses.
Blogger Ralph Lucarella said...
HI TOM....I CAN REMEMBER AL DeMARTIN WHEN HE WAS A YOUNG FELLOW AND ONE OF MY BROTHER'S FRIENDS. THEY WERE A FINE GROUP OF GUYS AND ONE OF THE REASONS WHY "CHUCK" ENDED UP BEING A FINE DOCTOR IN HIS LATTER YEARS.

1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI TOM....I CAN REMEMBER AL DeMARTIN WHEN HE WAS A YOUNG FELLOW AND ONE OF MY BROTHER'S FRIENDS. THEY WERE A FINE GROUP OF GUYS AND ONE OF THE REASONS WHY "CHUCK" ENDED UP BEING A FINE DOCTOR IN HIS LATTER YEARS.