Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

1991: HAMILTON TOWNSHIP IN 1950

1950: I was 16 going on 17, had an unrequited crush on Madeline Bencivengo, Pat MacBean, Mary Pyrah, Shirley Gress, and quite a few others whose names escape me these many years later. Unlike many of my classmates, I wouldn't reach the golden age of 17 and a driver's license until September 29th of that year. As you might imagine from the article I wrote those many years ago, Hamilton Township was a very different place than the megalopolis of today. A ride down Route 33 to Betty and Bill's would take us by Orsi's applicance store at the corner of White Horse Mercerville Road and Route 33, the Moser farm across from Betty and Bill's and Cedar Gardens. Kuser Road was as two lane road with open fields interspersed with deep woods.

2 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom....I got to know most of the people in the Municipal Building in the 50s when we built the Hamilton Bowling Lanes on Route 33 in 1955. We organized a 10 team league of the people working there. We were very friendly with Sutt(Sutterly) and Hugh Mcguire. Even when we moved I came back to visit often. Danny Rossati was a big help while we were building.

Tom Glover said...

Don't look now, Ralph, but we're really piling on the years! They're going by too damn fast.

Tom