Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

1883: CHAMBERSBURG AS FEW TODAY WOULD RECOGNIZE IT

In the latter part of the 19th century, the Trenton area began expanding to what we know of today as the suburbs. Can you imagine the tightly populated Chambersburg as being cornfields, orchards, and farms? It is difficult to imagine. However, articles such as the above graphic, give a lucid picture of the outlying areas of the city.A crab apple orchard at Hamilton and Chestnut avenues; how intriguing!
Blogger SJBill said...

I think I recognize two names on the list of developers:

The Hartmann residing at Landing and Center St is likely related to the Hartmann Funeral Home, which is just down the block a bit between Cass and Landing.

I'll bet the Charles Haggerty is the one that resided on Dye St., between S Clinton and Genesee. His name still associated with Haggerty Alley which was between both those streets.

When I was a little kid, I remember discussing the development of the Burg with some old timers that remembered the borough as an agrarian area a little further away from the Old Burg. The Roebling factory changed everything.

1 comment:

SJBill said...

I think I recognize two names on the list of developers:

The Hartmann residing at Landing and Center St is likely related to the Hartmann Funeral Home, which is just down the block a bit between Cass and Landing.

I'll bet the Charles Haggerty is the one that resided on Dye St., between S Clinton and Genesee. His name still associated with Haggerty Alley wich was between both those streets.

When I was a little kid, I remember discussing the development of the Burg with some old timers that remembered the bourough as an agrarian area a little further away from the Old Burg. The Roebling factory changed everything.

Q. Is "Pond Run" the creek we kids used to call "P!ssy Creek"? It starts out in Hamilton and heads towards the Burg and goes underground near Franklin Park.