Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

1851: DEDICATION OF THE YARDVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Early records tell us that the original worship services were held in a one room building, at the "north of five points;" which is a bit confusing. Perhaps an old time resident of Sand Hills can enlighten me and tell me if my interpretation places it at the intersection of South Broad Street, Yardville-Hamilton Square Road, the road to Groveville, and the Allentown Road and Route 156. Be that as it may, the above article from 1851 tells of the dedication of the new church at Yardville. I have added a photo of the old church as it appeared in 1912. It was burned to the ground in 1932. I am unable to determine whether this was the building which was dedicated in 1851. Perhaps here too a local resident can help us add to the history of this Hamilton Township legendary church. How I miss my dear friend, the late Bob Simpkins who could have filled me in on those un-answered questions!
Thanks to Claire Dwier Zarr, a reliable and knowledgeable Groveville-Yardville historian, my request for info on the "five points" in Yardville has been solved. Claire's email is below.
THANKS CLAIRE, YOU'RE THE BEST!

Hope this finds you well and keeping busy indoors until the snow melts. I wanted to clarify for you that there are definitely two 'five-point' intersections in Hamilton that are busy intersections. The most well-known is, of course, Five-Points in Mercerville. However, those who grew up in the Yardville-Groveville area have also always referred to the area indicated on your post as the Yardville Five-Points. It is where South Broad, Church St., Yardville-Ham. Sq. Rd. and Yardville-Allentown Rd. all intersect. So, another little mystery is solved.


No comments: