Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1940: JUNIOR FOUR FRESHMEN CLASS PERFORM SIGMUND ROMBERG'S "MY MARYLAND"

Those of our younger citizens who didn't have the privilege of being subjected to those great operettas we had in high schools all over the country have truly missed out on an incredible cultural experience. Gilbert and Sullivan, Sigmund Romberg, Vincent Youmans, Rudolph Friml, and many other composer brought us music that will live forever in our aging hearts. Those who would like to once again hear those wonderful operettas of yesterday can purchase a full CD MP3 of operettas as performed on radio by the "Railroad Hour." I have the CD and spend hours listening to Gordon MacRae as he lends his beautiful baritone along with numerous female vocalists. If you are interested in a disk, go to Google and enter OTR THE RAILROAD HOUR MP3. You should be able to find a place to purchase the CD. You won't be sorry! By the way: "My Maryland" is included in the many operettas on the CD. (OTR stands for old time radio!)

THIS FROM MY HAMILTON HIGH SCHOOL SINGING BUDDY LEE BELARDINO. LEE AND I WERE IN LOUISE BAIRD'S ROOM 300 VOCAL MUSIC CLASS BACK IN THE LATE '40's and EARLY 50's:

Tommy:
Thanks for the tip about "The American Radio hour". I immediately took your suggestion and went to that site. Wow! All kind of operettas and my favorite singer Gordon Mcrea. I started scribing the shows and all of a sudden "Sally" appears. I couldn't believe it. I haven't heard that show since I was a 14 year old freshman who was given a chance to sing in the chorus by a sainted woman named Louise Baird. Tom,I remember the words to every song and nowadays thats tough for me. Aunt Louse tought us well. I remember some of the leads; Jack Hartmen,Don Kraft, Florence Lanzi. Gee, what a great gang. I will listen to all those shows Wasn't Mcrea great? Once again Tom, you made my day. I Stay well buddy.
Lee

No comments: