Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

1946: DEL ENNIS MARRIES


What a team! What a player! What a roster of players: Robin Roberts, Curt Simmons, Jim Konstanty, Granny Hamner, and Richie Ashburn! How well I remember the 1950 "Whiz Kids." And Whiz Kids they were! Unfortunately they were swept by the Yankees who at that time had a nearly unbeatable team. Even though I have been an avid Yankee fan since 1948 when I left the radio to watch televised games, I still admired that tight little baseball club which was much like the 2009 Phillies team; a team with boundless talent. Remembering the Whiz Kids reminded my of the early years of television when we locals had to watch either the Phillies or the Athletics from Shibe Park on 21st and Lehigh in downtown Philly.

2 comments:

JoeZ said...

Tom, I was a mere lad of 3 back in 1950, but in the late 50's my Dad took me many times to Connie Mack Stadium. To me that was a baseball park. I remember seeing Robin Roberts and Curt Simmons pitch and was there the night Richie Asburn won the Batting Title over Roberto Clemente. Good memories and a great post.

Tom Glover said...

Hey Joe:

I hope you had a nice Christmas. Happy New Year, and thanks much for being such a loyal visitor to my blog. I have many pleasant memories of Shibe Park, and of the Athletics, and Phillies playing there. As I read that article about Del Ennis, it brought to mind players I remember from both Philly teams: Eddie Joost, Sam Chapman, Granny Hamner, and of course, "the Old Man," Connie Mack. The "A" were usually in the cellar during my years, battling for last place with the St. Louis browns and the Washington Senators,


Tom .