Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

1946: THE FEAST OF LIGHTS REVISED THANKS TO CARLO BENEDETTI





Thanks to my friend, Carlo Benedetti, a regular visitor to this blog for pointing out that there were previous posts relating to the demise of the Feast of Lights. I have gone back and picked up those articles and linked them here in order to tie all the events together. Many thanks, Carl. Your comment pointing to the earlier articles relating to the Fest has given us a complete chronology of the events that led up to the demise.

4 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: I believe one of the reasons the feast was moved was a complaint from St. Francis Hospital that the fire works were too loud. I recall when I was a kid that Scardone really shot up Butler St. with very loud fireworks that probably effected the patients at the hospital. I returned many times after I moved from Trenton to visit the feast but don't remember the fireworks.s

Tom Glover said...

Thanks, Ralph. I would assume that the Feast was still held within the confines of the Burg....only the fireworks moved out to the suburbs.

Tom Glover

Carlo said...

Hi Tom, If you check back on your entries under "Feast of Lights" you
will find the articles detailing what led to the feast being moved to Hamilton
back in 1946. Both the bishop and the pastor were concerned over the carnival-like atmosphere which tended to overshadow the religious origin and significance of the event.The bishop forbade it and the
city commissioners rescinded the
permit. The Neopolitan Society
which sponsered the feast retaliated by holding it on Kuser Rd. The church itself was only responsible for the religious observance which always included mass and the procession, not the external lights, stands etc.

Tom Glover said...

Carlo:

Thanks for turning the lights back on in my aging cranium! I had completely forgotten about that article. I am going to add it it to the recent post. With over 3500 pages, it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to remember specifics. Thanks to my eagle eyed visitors for keeping me honest!

Tom Glover