Search This Blog

Saturday, September 05, 2009

1936: MOCK GERMAN WEDDING AT GEORGE'S HAMILTON LIQUOR STORE

Thanks to Mack McNicoll and "Jersey Girl Elizabeth" for this great addition to the GERMAN-AMERICAN folder in the Hamilton Library's digital folder. I can't say that I know what a "mock wedding" is, but I am completely delighted to receive these photos.

The George's Liquor Store was a regular stop for me in the later days of my father's life when he was unable to get around. He would call me and ask me to pick up a fifth of Seagram's on my way over to the Glover house, and when I brought it to him, he would hand me 4 or 5 dollars, not realizing that I paid 12 or 13. Of course, I never called him on it. He was living in the era of 19 cents per gallon gas and 25 cent packs of cigarettes.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE PHOTOS, MACK, AND "JERSEY GIRL ELIZABETH!"

1 comment:

JoeZ said...

Tom: What a great picture, when I was discharged from the service in 1970, my first apartment was next to Georges, Mr. Wurfel's Apartments. It was a nice and peaceful place to live.