Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

1938: Three of the Lenhardt Boys


These are the three Lenhardt boys I grew up with. Even though Jack has been a Chief and a leading light in the Mercerville Volunteer Fire Co. for years, his roots are planted firmly on Kuser Road where he and the Lenhardt family grew up. I can still remember seeing these three boys perched in the Lenhardt farm tractor as they tilled the fields of John Lenhardt's farm.In my mind, Colonial Volunteer Fire Company automatically brings up images of many of the Lenhardt names I recall. Let's see there was Jack, Joe, Ray, George, Bernie, Bob, Bill.....and of course who could ever forget "Big John" Lenhardt! I can still see him on his weekly delivery rounds bringing fresh Lenhardt Jersey sweet corn to our front doors. JohnLenhardt was a giant of a man with the heart of gold. Further, the Lenhardt family's dedication to fire fighting and saving lives and homes will never be forgotten by those of us who knew and know the family.

1 comment:

JoeZ said...

Tom: I did a post yesterday about my old place of employment the Big and Tall Shop on South Broad St. I waited on John Lenhardt many times, along with a few of his brothers. Nice family.