Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

1934: WINNERS IN THE "TUG OF WAR" CONTEST

This is an interesting photo of the uniforms worn by the Trenton policemen back in the early 30's. I am ssuming that officer Chet Hughes on the right in the photo was the father of one of my favorite Trenton police officers in the late 40's and early 50's, Chet Hughes was the traffic officer on duty at State & Broad. Every Thursday night when I picked up my fiance Judy Britton, Chet got to know my car and knew I would only be there for a minute after the 9 o'clock
closing of Yard's where Judy worked. He was a true gentleman,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome Tom- Chester A. Hughes is my grandfather!! You site never ceases to amaze me!!
Jill J. Hughes

Anonymous said...

oh by the way Tom - Chester A. Hughes' son, Chet Hughes (Chester William Hughes) is my Dad!! ;)
It is such a small world! My Grandfather died back in 1990 and is buried in Ewing, but my father is still alive and well. He retired in 1982 from the Trenton Police force but still works out here in Arizona as a security guard, even at age 82! He just can NOT stop helping people..I guess it is in his blood?!! ;)

Tom Glover said...

HI JILL:
He probably won't remember me personally, I was the guy with the 1940 blue DeSoto 4 door sedan who parked on E. State Street just behind the bus stop waiting for my wife Judy to finish her 9 PM Thursday night job at Yard's Infant Wear department.

Tom Glover