Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2009: Donna Cubberley, You're the Best!

I Think they call it "kindred spirits;" but whatever it is, I received this remarkably well composed email from Ms.Donna Radice Cubberley. Even though I am 25 years older than Donna, I find she has captured in a very well written missive the strange, emotional, nostalgic and bittersweet memories many of us hold in our hearts of the friends and neighbors and the neighborhoods in which we grew up. I couldn't have said it better, Donna. Your letter is a true gem! By the way, I also dream of visiting my old home; never did believe that old "you can't go home again" blather. Pleasant memories live on forever, and like you, I believe they live beyond time as we understand it.

Donna wrote in my guestbook, which must be shared for those who do not follow my visitors' comments:


Hi, Tom. Feeling a bit nostalgic and sad tonight, and wanted to share a recent experience with you. On Saturday, 7-18-09, I took a ride down to Trenton to honor my deceased mother's 70th birthday (she died suddenly at 28 years old in Saint Francis hospital after having given birth to my brother in 1968) by visiting her grave in Saint Mary's cemetery on Cedar Lane and then meeting up with my brother and his family at DeLorenzo's on Hudson Street for the best tomato pie on this planet. After eating, I took a ride past 22 Mott Street where mom was born, and then made the rounds past the house in which I grew up (627 Woodland Street; I still visit this house in my dreams several times each month) as well as several other spots in the area which remain so near and dear to my heart and which continue to live - thrive - in my memories (Franklin Park; Jr. 4; White City Lake; Cadwalader Park; etc.), despite the current, utterly depressing reality of the entire area. I drove back to my home in the New Hope area with a lump in my throat. I have been blessed by God's grace on numerous occasions in my 51 years, and I firmly believe that what one believes is what will come to fruition in the afterlife (i.e., we each create our own realities): If a certain individual believes in nothingness, then that individual will pass into nothingness. I for one believe that I will be reunited with my loved ones after I die. I only hope that the backdrop for this reunion will be Trenton, NJ in the 50's and 60's, for that would truly be heaven.

4 comments:

Mack said...

Heaven will have Burg food:)

April said...

Hi Tom!
I hope Donna reads this ...I would love to connect with you...my grandmother was born in 26 Mott St and I had family that lived in several of the other houses, including 22! I have a picture or two of Mott St with those houses in the background...
April
aprilicity@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna...Bill Kostrub here. This is a great blog, and from one original river rat to another, since we can't enjoy going back now, maybe we will later.

ron bound said...

Amazing, just getting around to 2009 item in your blog. Googled the Woodlawn address, and thought what a nice house facing one of my favorite places...Franklin Park. Delivered newspapers on all those streets in the early 50s. Keep up all that you do Tom. And Thanks for the Memories.