Search This Blog

Thursday, July 02, 2009

1971: The Transistor Radio

"Son, when I was your age, we didn't have them there newfangled I-Pods or whatever they call them things that play MP3 music. We had this invention known as a transistor radio. It was just about an inch bigger than a pack of king size Pall Mall cigarettes. It had AM, FM, and we were really hot stuff if we were walking around the neighborhood listening to "Wibbage." Ask your grand mom or grandpop what "Wibbage" was. I Bet they remember!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In 1957 I asked my Dad to get me a transistor radio so I could listen to the Phillies at night.
I was 12 years old and He told me that if I wanted the radio that I had to work for it.
I started my own lawn mowing and snow shoveling business and by the year 1962 I had saved enough money to buy a used 1958 Chevy convertable.

Mack said...

Hi Tom:)
They had not perfected how to
make radios really until the 80s.
Many times I would find radios like this being thrown out on the
curb with people's trash and often
the only thing wrong with the radio was a bad battery wire.
It was like treasure hunting !!

PS:
Wibbage = WIBG:)

Anonymous said...

WIBG had it's origins in Christian radio. You could pick call letter and he opted for .. W I Believe in God.

Ed Millerick