Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

1993: PIZZA OR TOMATO PIE?

Ahh, memories of those teen age eateries keep coming back like a song. Pete's Steak House on Chambers Street, Betty and Bill's on Route 33, "Dirty Bill's" in Yardley, and DeLorenzo's TOMATO PIES on Hamilton Avenue in Villa Park. Note the CAPITAL letters I assigned to
DeLorenzo's. There are tomato pies and there are pizzas. Most pizza places don't know how to manufacture a DeLorenzo tomato pie. There have been countless articles written asking who makes the best pizza. I really can't answer that because I am a tomato pie lover and veer away from all that artery-clogging cheese and the thick crust in what I have found in the average pizza. Above is an extract from a column I wrote back in 1993 wherein I remembered all those great eateries we patronized back in the 1950's. I just finished a DeLorenzo TOMATO PIE as I write this, and thought I would see if I could find the article I wrote back then. I did, extracted and re-formatted it to fit this page.

BY THE WAY: THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE MINE, AND MINE ALONE, AND DO NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THERE AREN'T OTHER GOOD TOMATO PIE PLACES AROUND THE TRENTON-HAMILTON AREA. I JUST HAVEN'T FOUND ANY THAT CAN COMPARE TO MY FAVORITE PLACE,
NOR DO I WANT TO!

9 comments:

John Beck said...

That was me that served you your pie! Thanks for the great article as usual!

Mack said...

DeLorenzos are legendary both places as was Jimmies Camera Shop:)

Carlo said...

Enjoyed many Delorenzo Hamilton Ave
tomato pies when I worked 12 hour
days at Olden Pharmacy! Still the best!

Tom Glover said...

Carlo Benedetti!
Thanks so much for visiting, Carlo. You are in the building that has very pleasant memories for me. Before you made that red brick building an Olden Pharmacy classic, your predecessor, the Palombi family blazed the trail. If you see my dear friend June Funari, please give her a kiss for me.
Tom Glover

Tom Glover said...

And "Beckinabox," Since my buddy big Rick retired, I have to re-establish the names of those hard working guys working the kitchen at DeLorenzo's. Next time I am in please introduce yourself by a name other than your screen name....you guys are the best and your TOMATO PIES are even better!
Tom

Carlo said...

Hi Tom, June worked for us for 30 years. She is a wonderful lady and
next time she stops in I will give
her that kiss for you. I really
enjoy your site as well as Mack's.
since both the Burg and Hamilton have been part of my life. Keep up the good work! Carlo

JoeZ said...

Tom, nice article but you are making my mouth water down here in Florida. Our old next door neighbor's sons worked at DeLorenzo's while going to school Jordan and Zach. They still may be working there. Enjoy a slice for me everytime you go.

Tom Glover said...

You got it, Joe! I'll dedicate my next one to you.

Tom

Jan Reesman (DiNatale) said...

I am coming to town later this month from Beverly Hills and can't wit to go to Delorezo's for a Tomato Pie..
A bunch of us.

Can anyone meet up? Jan Reesman
(DiNatle-Bradley)
http://www.janreesman.com